Personal Information Digests
Most Australian Government agencies are required to maintain a record setting out:
- the nature of the various types of records of personal information kept by the agency
- the purpose for which the records are kept
- the class of individuals to which the records apply
- the period for which the records are kept
- details of how individuals can get access to records about themselves.
In June of each year agencies are required by the Privacy Act to provide a copy of the record to the Australian Information Commissioner. The Commissioner then collates this information and publishes it on this website.
The Personal Information Digests from 1999 are available on this website in our Materials and resources section. If you have any difficulty accessing that information contact us for an alternative format.
If you require more specific information about records held by a particular Australian Government agency, you should contact the Privacy Contact Officer for that agency.
ACT Personal Information Digests
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) government agencies are also required to maintain records detailing information about personal information that they hold.
The ACT agency information is collated by the ACT Government and is available from the ACT Department of Justice and Community Safety website.
If you require information about records held by a particular ACT agency, you should contact the Privacy Contact Officer for that agency.