This part of the Privacy Commissioner's website provides answers to questions frequently asked of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. If you have a question you would like us to answer please send it to email@example.com.
- Where can I find more information about privacy for private sector organisations? Answer
- When is business information covered by the Privacy Act? Answer
- How do I know if the country I am sending personal information to has privacy rules consistent with the Privacy Act? Answer
- Centrelink has requested information from my organisation about an individual. Will I breach the Privacy Act if I give out this information? Answer
- What do I need to think about if I want to put photos on the web? Answer
- I am a financial adviser (authorised representatitve) acting for a dealer group ('A'). I am considering transferring to another dealer group ('B'). What are the key privacy obligations towards clients to whom I provide advice? Answer
- Can I use my customer database to send a customer a Christmas Card? Answer
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Can Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes collect sensitive information about another person (a third party)? Answer
- When do Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes have to notify other people (third parties) that they have collected their information? Answer
- What can Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes use and disclose another person's (a third party's) information for? Answer
- Do Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes have to give access to any personal information they hold about an individual? Answer
- Does your business have privacy obligations in relation to AML/CTF? Answer
- How much information can be collected for AML/CTF purposes? Answer
- Can personal information be collected for AML/CTF purposes from sources other than the individual concerned? Answer
- What happens when personal information for AML/CTF purposes is used or disclosed? Answer
- What happens if personal information for AML/CTF purposes changes? Answer
- How does personal information for AML/CTF purposes need to be stored? Answer
- Can an individual correct their Know Your Customer information? Answer
- Can sensitive information be collected for AML/CTF purposes? Answer
- What are my obligations in relation to providing individuals with access to information collected for AML/CTF purposes? Answer
Why not take the Privacy Quiz for organisations - PDF
About the FAQs
Responses to FAQs are based on the Office's understanding of how the Privacy Act works. The responses apply to the various privacy provisions and principles in a given situation and may help individuals, agencies, organisations and community groups in similar circumstances to reach a privacy solution.
Our responses to these questions are advisory only and not legally binding. You may need to seek separate legal advice on the application of the Privacy Act to your particular situation.
Nothing in an FAQ response limits the Privacy Commissioner's ability to investigate complaints under the Privacy Act or to apply the Information Privacy Principles or the National Privacy Principles in the way that seems most appropriate to the facts of the case being dealt with.